Thursday 24 November 2011

Classic Melody by Angelic Pretty

Today I will be having a look at Classic Melody by AP. This is a small series with 2 JSKs, a headbow, socks and a bag.

This is the first JSK. The bodice is a nice shape and looks like it will fit well. The neckline also has an interesting shape to it. I like how thin lace is used along the neckline to emphasise the shape. That little chest panel actually has 2 line of lace but because the lace used is so thin, it works quite well. This panel is finished with a soft satin bow. The bow is a good shape and I like the size. There is another, much larger, satin bow on the waist. Usually, I wouldn't like my waist bow being that big, but if you consider how simple the print looks compared to your typical AP pastel OTT print, the large bow is not that overwhelming. However, the waist bow is detachable and I think the dress looks pretty with and without the bow. There are 2 lines of lace running vertically up the bodice, which blend in on the black and pink version, but is more noticable on the ivory version. The straps are a decent width and are finished with thin semi-circle lace, which is pretty but also nice and simple. The back has a panel of shirring, concealed by a tidy-looking ribbon corset. The back part has a bustle. Judging by a side view of the dress, the tiers are well spaced out. Unlike some back bustles, I don't think this one would emphasise a large bottom (which has always been a major issue for me when it comes to bustle skirts) because it doesn't flare out too much. Despite not flaring out much, the bustle does not look flat and limp. The skirt part is your typical AP shape, round and full. It would hold a lot of petticoat underneath and will create a lovely sweet lolita silhouette. The skirt is fairly plain, which helps show off the print better. There are vertical lines of lace running down the skirt, which connect with the bows near the bottom hem, which I would have left off because it doesn't add much to the design. The bottom hem has 2 overlapping lines of lace. As you can see, the pink colourway has contrasting black lace, which I think works well. Then the wider lace underneath has a cute musical note design. The lace is cute and the quality is lovely.


This is the other JSK. The bodice on this dress also looks well fitted and I simply adore the sailor collar. The shape of the sailor collar is interesting and I am surprised by how well it works with the music themed print. The collar is finished with a satin bow, which I think is the perfect size to finish off the collar. As you would expect from satin, the bow is slightly shiny but it is not that bad. The ribbon is a nice shape and it is not floppy looking. The sailor collar is detachable, but I think the dress looks too plain without it. The bodice also has folds, which give it a bit of extra depth. My only dislike with the bodice is the ribbon criss-crossed down the front. It looks like the ribbon used is good quality and it is well spaced out, but it ends very abruptly at the waist. I think a nice black belt would look good with this dress. The back of the dress is very plain and there is no shirring. The skirt part seems to have a more exaggerated roundness to it when compared to the other dress. It is an OTT shape, but given the plainer looking print, it doesn't look too bad. This dress would also hold a lot of petticoat underneath. The skirt part on this dress is even plainer than the other dress in this series, so you can see the print in its full glory. The bottom hem is finished off with some good quality lace. As well as the musical notes, the lace on this dress also features tiny crowns, which looks very pretty.

Today, there is no print close-up because there wasn't a picture of one, but the print is very clear in the photos anyway. The dress comes in black, ivory and pink. I think that both the ivory and the pink look the best, but the ivory would probably be my absolute favourite because I like the idea of doing monotone lolita. I always thought that violins works best with a classic print, but AP have done a good job of making them this print look sweet. I don't quite understand why some of the violins are stripy. It doesn't look bad but I think it would be pretty if all the violins were solid instead of having the stripy ones alternating between the solid ones. I also like the floating musical notes. The print is a bit plain, but I think that was the intention.


This is the headbow. The stripes fit in nicely with the sailor themed dress, but still suits the musical theme too. I absolutely love the 3D music note. I like where it has been placed and also, the size. But I do wish it was slightly more visible.


The only part of the series I am unsure of is the bag. I love the book part, but the metal parts are not really my style. I don't like the way it has been made to look like a folder with the metal rings running along the top.


I think the socks are very cute. From the distance the musical lines make the socks look like stripes. Despite the music notes running and the violin on the side, I think these socks could be very versatile and would suit a lot of outfits.

So overall, I do like this series. I think I prefer the sailor dress and the ivory is the best colour, in my opinion. I think it would appeal to a wider audience rather than just the lolitas who love the typical AP stuff. However, despite this, I don't think this series is going to be that popular. I think it will have its fans but will not be that widely sought after. Would I buy from this series? Well, I do like it, but not enough to put it on my wishlist. It is something I would add to my wardrobe, but it is certainly not a top priority of mine to get this series.

5 comments:

  1. I LOVE the print! The designs of all of the pieces are very sweet and have one of my favorite things - music. And I'm glad they chose to hide the shirring in the first JSK. I think it would be a little out of place if they left it visible. I also am very fond of the headbow~ It really does go with the dresses!

    And I actually don't mind the bag. It kind of reminds me of a notebook for music class with sheet music. (I used to play the flute so I did have a book like that xD ). The socks are uber cute too :3

    Because I'm a music fanatic, I think I would get this set - given the chance. But depends if it's affordable to me or not xD Thanks for another awesome review~

    ~ Kieli ~

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the series, but not enough to rush out and buy it right now! I am unsure about the bag, I just think the design could have been better.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haha definitely not right now. Probably (and hopefully) when it goes on sale xD

    Well the bag could always use bows or detachable music notes =o Now that would be cute!

    ~ Kieli ~

    ReplyDelete
  4. Where would I be able to get a dress like this? The design is beautiful, as well as the accessories

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You could try looking on Angelic Pretty's website or looking at popular lolita Taobao stores. This link has a lot of Taobao stores- http://lolita-tips.tumblr.com/post/31378489567/a-list-of-lolita-taobao-shops

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...