Monday 16 July 2012

Galactic Journey to the Stars by AatP

Firstly, I would like to apologise for doing 2 print discussion posts in a row. The reason for this is that I am going on holiday soon and so I want to get this out of the way before I go! Today I will be taking a look at the latest offering from Alice and the Pirates. It is called Galactic Journey to the Stars. This series includes 2 dresses, a salopette, a skirt, a blouse, socks, a bonnet, double head bow and an apple ring.


This is JSK I. The bodice is a really nice shape and it really emphasises where the waist is. What I really love about this dress is the use of starry chiffon (see below). The waist bow uses this starry chiffon and whilst the bow is big, it suits the dress well. Because this dress is so simple, I think it really needs to have the bow there, but it is also detachable if you don't like it. Personally, I think the dress is too plain without it there. The waist bow has a surprisingly nice shape for chiffon. I was also expecting something a lot droopier in appearance, so I think this bow has been done very well. The yoke part uses the same chiffon and it looks really pretty. The use of chiffon on the yoke also helps to breaks up the amount of the main dress fabric and ties in the waist bow and collar. The buttons are fine, although maybe a cuter design could have been used. The yoke is lined with lace, which blends in quite well and softens the edge.


This picture of the collar showcases the stars on the chiffon really well. I absolutely adore the use of this chiffon on this dress! The collar is a really pretty shape and it gives the dress a more grown-up appearance. It is very smart and tidy looking. The one thing I am a little unsure of is the use of the gold rikrak. I am unsure I would have chosen gold rikrak. But despite this, it has been used in a good way and I suppose it does work with the dress. It just wouldn't have been my first choice!

The back has a panel of shirring which is nicely concealed by a ribbon corset. The waist ties use more of the starry chiffon fabric and I like how this helps ties in with the rest of the dress. The skirt has a lovely subtle bell shape to it, but at the same time I think it could flare outwards quite nicely if the wearer wanted. The skirt also looks like it has a decent amount of length to it too. There are no details cluttering the skirt and the print is displayed really well. The bottom hem is finished off with some good quality lace, which matched the collar. I think this dress design is quite simplistic, but I quite like this. It looks more sophisticated.


This is the JSK II. The bodice has a nice overall shape, although in a few of the stock photos the material looked a bit loose in places. The bodice is broken up in to panels, with a slightly raised panel at the top. I don't think the design flows as well as the other dress. The lace used along the bottom of the raised panel is pretty. This panel is topped with 2 bows which are made of slightly shiny ribbon, but still look good quality. The bows are nice and small, so they don't look too cramped and they are also a good shape. The bows are very cute. This is the really interesting thing about this series- the first dress looks more like your typical AatP, but this dress is a bit more cute and sweet looking. The other main detail on the bodice is the criss-crossing ribbon running down both sides of the bodice. It does look very pretty and the ribbon is well spaced out. The straps are a little bit thin and look oddly plain compared to the rest of the bodice. Overall, I do quite like the bodice, but at the same time I think there is something slightly off about it. The back has a panel of shirring which is concealed by a ribbon corset. The ribbon colour used here is contrasting with the main dress colour, but it does look very neat and tidy. The skirt is a little bit disappointing. In the stock pictures is looks a bit deflated and flat, but hopefully it will look better with a decent petticoat. It just doesn't look that shapely when compared to the first JSK. The skirt on this dress is also clutter free and again, the print is displayed really well. The bottom hem is then finished off neatly with the same lace from the bodice.


And here is the print close-up. This print is available in lavender, navy, brown and black. Unsurprisingly for me, my favourite is the navy colour, although I think the lavender is also beautiful. The black looks good, but I am unsure about the brown. I think though, that a lot of this series depends on how sweet you want to go, as it varies quite a lot through this series. Tellingly, JSK I has sold out of navy and the sweeter JSK II has sold out of lavender. As for the print itself, I suppose if you don't know the story this print is based on, it probably does look a bit random! I have to admit that I have not read the story, so I have absolutely no idea what the apples have to do with the print! However, I can appreciate the dream-like theme of the print. I really love the lines of music trailing through the sky carelessly, like ribbon. The train in the sky is a nice, interesting touch and I love the flurries of stars and birds. But my favourite bit of the print has got to be the bottom part with the trees. I think it is a really good idea having a print with dark trees, all lit up with lights. I admit that it reminds me of Christmas trees, but I still like the trees and I would wear this all year around, not just at Christmas!


I don't normally mention the salopettes on here, but the one from this series stood out. Sorry salopette fans, but I think this one looks awful! I don't think this is the right sort of series for a salopette like this. The shorts part just doesn't work for me and the print looks strange on it. I just think it is a bit of a strange inclusion.

Overall, I think this is a really interesting series with a lot of potential. I do think that in places this series is a bit surprising because it is not the style you would usually associate with Alice and the Pirates. But I think there is enough here to appeal to the typical AatP fan but at the same time, it will appeal to people who usually prefer designs released by Baby. My favourite of the two dresses is JSK I. I can't resist that starry chiffon! I also think that JSK looks more grown-up. That being said, I wouldn't dismiss JSK II. Both dresses are lovely. I do like this series. It wont be going on my wishlist, but I wouldn't mind owning it. I reckon this print is one of those ones that may become more popular when they see another lolita wearing it. I know I will be really interested to see how this series looks in real life.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...