Monday 17 September 2012

Dim Light by Metamorphose

Today I shall be looking at Dim Light by Metamorphose. This series has already been released. The Dim Light series includes 3 dresses (one available in 2 lengths), 2 skirts, socks and accessories.


This is the OP. The bodice looks really well fitted. I like the neckline and how the waist line has a slight 'V' shape to it. The contrast of the printed fabric and the solid coloured de chine fabric works well too. It has a very "period costume" feel to it, but I feel it has a very romantic look to it. The waist has a ruffle of solid coloured fabric, which stops the area looking flat and dull. It also helps to hide where the bodice and skirt material join. The bodice has 3 dull satin bows on it. I think the spacing of the bows could have been executed better, with the top and bottom bow moved a tiny bit closer to the middle bow. But the bows themselves look very pretty and I like the use of dull satin, which hopefully wont be too shiny. The neckline with the braiding is a lovely shape and it looks very elegant. Inside the gold braid, there is a ruffle of the solid coloured fabric. It doesn't look bad, but the dress works with or without it, so I am not too fussed by it. The crossing neck straps are a nice finishing touch.



This picture shows that the sleeves do flare out nicely, but it is not too OTT. I really like the de chine fabric used as it gives the sleeves a very soft, floaty appearance. This gives the sleeves a very romantic feel and I think it really suits the dress. This dress also comes with matching wrist cuffs, which match perfectly and use the same material as the sleeves.



This is the back of the bodice. I am not too keen with how the back has been set out. I think the shirring panel could have ended higher up, nearer the neck. I also wish that the shirring didn't look so exposed and had a ribbon corset to conceal it a bit better. However, I do think the rest of the back looks very neat. The silver braiding conceals the edges of the shirring panel and just makes it look tidier.

The back of the skirt also has a bustle on it (not shown here). The bustle is a good width and the layers are spread out really well. I like how it doesn't look too droopy, but at the same time it doesn't stick outwards too much. The skirt has a very well flared bell shape. It will hold a very decent amount of petticoat underneath. The material also looks very plumped out and because of this the print is displayed really well. The skirt has also been kept clutter free and so the print really is displayed as best as it possibly can. The bottom hem is finished off with a very pretty ruffle, which ties in well with the bustle and the rest of the dress.



This is the pinafore JSK, which comes in 2 different lengths. The one in the photo is the medium length version, which on the model sits a bit below the knee. The mini length is knee length on the website's model. I would probably go for the medium length version of this dress, but there is not a massive amount of difference between the two dresses. The bodice is a nice shape, but possibly not as well fitted as other dresses in the series. I really love the de chine tie on the waist. It is so soft looking and delicate. It may be a bit floppy looking, but I think this works well with the style of the dress. The bodice is quite plain. The main detail is the swan logo brooch on the neckline. The brooch is very pretty. Both the brooch and the waist tie are detachable, but I personally wouldn't detach either of them. Although it is good to have a simpler design compared to the other 2 fancier dresses, I feel this dress is simply too plain with these items detached. The straps are a nice width, but I feel some thin lace would have jazzed them up a little bit. Whilst I like the simpler design of this dress, I feel this dress would be best paired with a fancy blouse, especially one with a detailed neck area. The back has a panel of shirring running the whole way across. It is very exposed as there is nothing to cover it. The skirt has a beautiful bell shape to it. Isn't it nice to see Meta not doing their usual, almost triangular skirt shape? The skirt looks like it will flare out quite well and will hold a decent amount of petticoat. The skirt, just like the rest of the dress, is clutter free, which means the print is displayed brilliantly. The bottom hem is finished off with a lovely ruffle, giving it a softer finish.




 This is the Peplum Pinafore JSK. The bodice is nicely fitted and is a very interesting shape. I absolutely love the way the braiding has been used on this bodice. It is very decorative and interesting looking. It certainly livens things up a bit. I love the way it also continues upwards and lines the edges of the de chine breast piece. The breast piece is very pretty. The de chine fabric contrasts beautifully with the print fabric and I like how this material is ruffled slightly. This gives the breast piece extra volume and texture. The breast piece is finished off with a printed fabric bow and a fake rose. I really like it. I think it is pretty. The dress straps themselves are very thin, but fit in well with the dress design. But then we get to the shoulders... and that very "interesting" detail. When I first saw the shoulder piece on the dress, I thought it looked awful. In my opinion, it just crosses the line in to costume territory and it really does look like something you would see on a cosplay. I still don't like the shoulder part now, but then I read that the shoulder part was detachable. Yay! So with the knowledge I can detach the shoulder bit I dislike, I have really warmed to this dress.


The back has a panel of shirring, which is concealed really well by a dull satin ribbon corset. It looks so much neater. Whilst I may not like the shoulder part, I don't mind the matching panels layered over the skirt. They are draped really nicely and are a pretty shape. They are also decorated well with the gold torchon lace around the edges. I also like how these panels don't conceal the print on the front of the skirt too much. The skirt shape is a beautiful full bell shape. It is a really lovely shape and the de chine fabric layers on the top sit on top well. Despite the de chine concealing the print on the back a fair bit, the print is still displayed well on the front of the dress. The bottom hem is finished off well with torchon lace and a de chine solid coloured ruffle. So whilst, I initially hated this dress, I grew to like it more when I knew just how much of the dress parts were detachable. I still wouldn't buy this particular style, but I will be very interested to see it being worn.



And here we have the print close-up. The print is available in navy, green and bordeaux. The very first thing I said when I saw this print was "At last!" It feels like ages since I last fell head over heels in love with a Meta print! There is not a single thing I dislike about this print. The candle sticks are so ornate and drawn with such detail. The roses and table decorations compliment the candle sticks really well. And I love the gorgeous baroque style pattern in the background. If you look really closely, you will see the Meta swan logo cleverly inserted in the background. My absolute favourite part is the angel candlestick. So pretty... My favourite colour is the navy (no surprises there) but all 3 colours work so well with the print. I would be happy to add any of the colours to my wardrobe.



I also really like the socks for this series. They have a bit of a Moitie feel to them. But what I really like is how the smoke of the candle forms the brand name. It is a really nice touch. The socks are then finished off with pretty stars.

So overall, I am happy to see that Meta have reminded me why I love them so much. I have said some very negative things about a lot of the most recent Meta prints, and then they go and release a beautiful series like this! Would I buy from this series? Of course I would. I put this print on my wishlist as soon as I saw it. I would probably choose the pinafore JSK in navy (medium length). Although I wouldn't wear it, I do appreciate the Peplum JSK as well. So this is a series I am really hoping to get my hands on.

5 comments:

  1. Hi again! I love the reviews, keep em coming! I also really love this Dim Light print from Meta. It just is so elegant and has a bit of a holiday feel to me! I would definitely go for the navy, but I love that more brands are releasing dark green colorways!
    I have to say this is probably one of their best prints, except for march of the ducks and twilight journey! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I agree, it is elegant. The dark green is gorgeous! I don't understand why dark green is not used more often.

      Yes, this is definitely up there as one of my favourite Meta prints. And I like your taste in Meta prints! :D

      Delete
  2. I'm in love with the OP, the sleeves seem really fluid. But, wtf with the Peplum jsk ? I don't like asymetric sleeves, it's too much strange for me >o< Nevermind, the print is gorgeous, the angel candle is lovely ♥

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The OP is lovely. Yes, the peplum JSK is a little bit odd! I think it is a shame they didn't have any good pictures of the peplum JSK with all the detachable bits removed, just so we could see what it looked like. I reckon that it probably looks a lot better. I still wouldn't wear that one though!

      Delete
  3. I wish I had bought this in navy when it came out....now I can't find anyone selling theirs! ;___;

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...