Wednesday 10 October 2012

AatP Midsummer Night's Dream Review!

I am so happy. After losing out on this dress so many times, I FINALLY have Midsummer Night's Dream by Alice and the Pirates! I managed to get my top colour choice of navy and the more popular style of JSK as well. Yay! I thought I would do a bit of a review for my new dress.


I tried on the dress as soon as I got it. I know a few people have said that the waist on this JSK version is a bit strange, so I was a bit worried it wouldn't sit right. I felt that the dress sat on me well. The purple ribbon does sit a bit above my waist, but it doesn't look like it is in the wrong place when I wear it. I found that the bodice fit very well. The measurements I found online on sites such as Hello Lace appear to be quite accurate. The main problem I had with wearing this dress was working out what petticoats to use and how to layer them. It took a few attempts to layer them in a way which didn't make the dress sit funny or look bumpy. Luckily, I have some deflated Bodyline petticoats and I was able to gradually build them up.


The fabric had a nice texture. It wasn't too rough. I have seen this print in person before but this was my first time giving it a really thorough examination. I am noticing colours in the print which I hadn't before. There is more detail to the print than I first realised. I am looking forward to incorporating these colours and themes in to an outfit. The print is just as gorgeous as I thought it would be. 


The ribbon is really good quality. The edges are very neat. I also really like the lavender colour of the ribbon teamed with this dress. The pearls are a nice finishing touch.


The lace is beautiful. It is quite thick and has a nice feel to it. You can tell it is good quality.


A view of the back. One problem I found was that the zip constantly gets stuck. Although, this seems to be a common problem with a lot of lolita dresses. It did take me a few moments to pull the zip up the back by myself. There is definitely a technique to it!


The material is surprisingly lightweight. When I was wearing the dress it felt very light, especially compared to other lolita dresses I own. It does make it easier to wear in warmer weather. The material is fairly thin, but you can't see through it unless you are really close. The dress also has a slip inside which feels very smooth. It is nice to have something like that on the inside, near to my skin, as it feels softer than the dress material. It also makes it look more professional.


I also managed to get the matching bonnet! I only tried this on briefly. It has a nice shape to it, although I get the impression it would be hard to reshape it. My only real complaint is that it doesn't have any combs to hold it in place and I am worried the bonnet may slip about a bit. But I do think I was very lucky to get the matching dress and bonnet set.

I am really excited about this dress and it has overtaken my Meta Fairy Tale skirt as my favourite lolita wardrobe item. I think the dress is absolutely stunning. I love it! I have been a long-term AatP admirer and I am so glad to finally get some in my wardrobe. I definitely want to get more AatP in my wardrobe in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...