Monday 17 December 2012

Fancy Egg by Metamorphose

Today I am taking a look at Fancy Egg by Meta. This series includes 4 dresses, shorts, 3 skirts, 2 blouses, a vest, socks and 5 different hair accessories.


This is the Bustle Pinafore JSK. The bodice looks very well fitted and it has an interesting shape. I think some may find the shape a bit too sharp, but I personally think it suits the dress quite well. The straps are a nice width. The ruffle along the straps does remind me a little of a maid's apron but again, it seems to suit the dress well and does soften the edges of the straps nicely. The neck straps look good too and add a bit of interest. I really like the use of gold lace running up the bodice as I think it really suits the print and the gold colour gives it a bit of a luxurious feel. There is also gold lace running along the neckline and along the inside of the straps, which is good because it stops the dress looking too plain. The bodice has 3 bows- 2 on the chest area and one at the waist. The waist bow is a good size for the dress. It has a lovely shape and looks very firm. Although I have no issues with the waist bow, I can take or leave it. I would have been satisfied with just the 2 bows on the chest. I think the chest bows are a good size and are spaced nicely. They do blend in a bit, but I think they work quite well. 


The back has a panel of shirring, which is concealed by a ribbon corset. It looks fairly neatly done, although it would have been nice if the ribbon colour matched a bit better. The back also has a bustle made of chiffon. I like the use of chiffon because it is a soft, floaty material. So although it does add volume, it isn't too much and hopefully it wouldn't emphasise a larger backside as much. The bustle is a nice width and the layers are spaced out nicely.

The skirt has a very rounded and plump shape to it. I think it looks good teamed with the fitted bodice. It flares out beautifully and will hold a lot of petticoat. There is a line of gold lace running horizontally along the skirt, just a little bit below the waist. It doesn't distract too much and the focus is still on the print, which is good. It makes things look a bit smart and it ties in with the use of gold on the bodice. The print is displayed very well. The bottom is finished with more gold lace. Although this doesn't look bad, I think it would have looked nice with a ruffle at the bottom, to match the ruffles on the straps.


This is the Pleated Pinafore JSK. This dress comes in 2 different lengths and the length is the only difference between the two. The one in this photo is the mini length. The bodice looks well fitted and a good shape. I am a huge chiffon fan usually, but I am a little unsure with the way it has been used for the belt. I have no issue with the bow, but I think the bit running around the dress looks a bit untidy. The loops for the belt seem to be very obvious as well and stick out. I would have been happy to just have the chiffon bow part as a brooch and forget about the belt part. On the bodice there is a line of dull satin ribbon with a pleat of chiffon underneath it. I think the pleated chiffon here looks very pretty. It looks a bit different to the sort of bodice details we are used to seeing and it has been done quite neatly. The straps are a suitable width for the dress. I like how the base of the strap has a bow on one side and a brooch on the other. The brooch is pretty, but I think it would have been nice to have a bit of gold colour on it, to tie in with the gold used in the print. The back has a panel of shirring which is concealed by a ribbon corset. This keep it looking neat and tidy. The skirt shape is also very rounded and full on this dress. I love how plump it is. It will hold a decent amount of petticoat too. Apart from where the chiffon waist bow ends, the skirt is kept free of clutter and so, the print is displayed very well. I am unsure about the use of pleated chiffon on the bottom hem. Whilst I thought it looked okay on the bodice, I don't think it works as well here. I think the chiffon is too wide here and the pleats are slightly too harsh. It maybe would have looked better if it was just lightly gathered instead of pleated.



This is the High Waist JSK. The bodice looks well fitted. I am unsure if I like the shape of the bodice though. The shape of the waist line could potentially make the waist area look wider and I simply don't think it looks as appealing. 


The bodice is interesting. It has a couple of different trims. I do like the fringe trim which can be seen running under the arm because it is a bit different, but has been kept narrow, so it is also not too distracting. The trim running along the waist line and vertically up the bodice is nice too. It helps to hide where the bodice and skirt join and also stops the bodice looking too flat. Even the straps have trim running along them, which makes them look a bit more interesting and gives additional texture. I also think it has all been done very neatly. The straps have a ruffle too, which I still think looks a bit too maid-like. There are also 2 lines of satin ribbon running across the bodice and topped with bows. This has also been done neatly and the bows are kept suitably small. However, I am unsure I like these 2 lines of satin ribbon. I was a bit unsure if it really suited the overall theme of the dress and I thought it looked too plain. Overall, I think this is probably my least favourite bodice of the 3 dresses in the series. 

The back has a panel of shirring which is concealed by a ribbon corset. I again feel like Meta could have used a ribbon colour which blends in a bit better. But it still looks very neat and tidy. As this is a high waisted JSK, the skirt is very long. I do think it would probably suit some body shapes better than others. Although it does flare outwards quite well, I would be tempted to use a petticoat with a bit less volume. I don't think this dress would look as attractive if it had lots of petticoat stuffed underneath. I do think it is a pretty skirt shape, but maybe this style of dress is not for everybody. The skirt has a line of the fringe trim running horizontally, about halfway down the skirt. This is not too distracting and doesn't affect the skirt shape at all. It also doesn't distract from the print, which is displayed really well. The bottom hem is  finished off with a pretty ruffle, which I think matches the strap ruffles perfectly.


And here is the print. This print is available in black, sax blue, pink and pea green. I am very undecided about which is my favourite colour. I think a lot of it depends on your opinion of harlequin print. The harlequin background on black colour way is very bold, whereas the diamonds on the other 3 colours blends in a lot and is much more subtle. At first I really liked the black version, then I moved on to the sax blue and now my favourite is the pink! I think the reason why I am currently favouring the pink is because I like the mint colour in the background, behind the eggs. As for the print itself, I think is is stunning. The Faberge style eggs are drawn beautifully with lots of luxurious details to them. I adore the egg with the carousel in the middle. I also really love the egg which is a carriage. It is a very interesting idea for a print and a bit different to the usual prints we are used to seeing. That just makes me love it even more! The swan lace at the bottom is a nice finishing touch too. I don't think there is a single part of this print I don't like!

So overall, I think this series has a lot of potential. Would I buy this print? Yes! I think this series may be appearing on my wishlist very soon. I really like the idea behind the print and how it has been executed. Although I would have to settle on a colour first! I would go for the Bustle Pinafore JSK, as I think it is interesting. However, I do think all 3 dresses have a lot of potential. I think this could be a very strong series and it is one of the best prints that Meta have released in a while.

2 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. I think so too! And it is great to see something a bit different as well.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...