Thursday 31 January 2013

Sweetie Chandelier by Angelic Pretty

Today I will be having a look at the latest from Angelic Pretty. This series is called Sweetie Chandelier and it has already been released. This series includes 2 dresses, a skirt, a head bow, a bonnet, a few pieces of jewellery and socks.


This is the OP. The bodice looks well fitted. For the sleeves, AP has gone in to full-on princess mode. The bell shaped sleeves on this dress are very full and flare outwards quite a lot. Whilst I like the tulle on the sleeves and think it is layered beautifully, I think the overall sleeve is just far too wide for me. If they were a bit smaller, I would probably like them a lot more. As they are, I think they are too OTT. I would be worried about my hands getting lost underneath all that material! The dress has a matching choker. Usually I dislike chokers, but I do think this one matches the dress well. It is tied up with tulle at the back, so the good thing is the size is easy to adjust. If I had this dress I probably wouldn't bother with the choker though.


The waist bow is big, but I think a good size for this style of dress. It has an interesting shape to it and looks very firm, with no obvious signs of droopiness. The bow is lined with gold trim, which I think suits the overall theme of the dress. It is also quite narrow, so it adds a nice finishing touch without being too bulky and overpowering. The bodice has 2 lines of vertical lace, which go outwards towards the top of the dress. The lace sticks out quite a bit, but it does match the OTT style of the rest of the dress. There are 4 bows inside the 2 lines of lace, which grow in size as the lace gets further apart. It creates a V shape. It is an interesting idea, but it is a bit too much for my tastes. I would have been happier with just one bow on the neckline or some other kind of detail. I think the dress is quite decadent already. 


The back has a panel of shirring which is concealed by a ribbon corset. The ribbon is spaced out nicely and keeps things neat. The back also has a bustle. The bustle layers look soft and hang nicely. They are spaced out well too. It matches the sleeves too, although I still wish the sleeves were smaller.

The skirt has a very full and flared. It also has a pretty rounded shape to it. I think that the skirt shape matches the rest of the dress well. It will hold a decent amount of petticoat too. The skirt is split in to 2 tiers. The tiers join together nicely and there is no awkward bumpiness. The tier join has more gold trim, which gives a smarter appearance. The tier join is also topped with 2 small bows. The bows are kept very small, so  they are not too distracting and it finishes off the area nicely. The print is maybe not displayed as well as the JSK, but it still looks very pretty. The bottom hem is then finished off with polka dot lace. I was a bit surprised by this, as I thought AP would do something a bit more special with the lace, especially when you consider how heavily detailed the rest of the dress is.



This is the JSK. I thought the bodice material looked a bit baggy in places. The overall bodice shape is also a bit dull. It is quite average and plain. The straps are a bit on the thin side and I would have preferred them to be just a teeny bit thicker. The straps have a line of lace running along the middle of them though, which stops them looking too plain.


The waist bow is made of ribbon. The ribbon is a bit on the shiny side. However, I do like the way the bow has been shaped. The tails of the bow have been folded in a way that gives it a much more interesting shape. You can't see all of it in this picture, but you get the basic idea. The ribbon has a lot of movement and depth to it. I think it is a very pretty idea. The bodice has 2 lines of gold trim running vertically upwards to give a panelled appearance. I would have probably liked this a lot more if the material didn't look so baggy in the photos. There is something about the yoke that doesn't seem right to me. It is nice how there are semi-circular lines of lace with the beads lined up as it mimics the shape of a chandelier and works with the print. But for some reason, I think the yoke looks a bit too plain teamed with the rest of the dress. I can't figure out why I think that. I also think the yoke is a bit too big and shouldn't go the whole way across the bodice. Also, whilst the lace around the edge of the yoke is pretty, I am not sure it is the best choice on this particular dress. Overall, I don't think it looks too bad. I just think it could look better.

The back has a panel of shirring. It is concealed very neatly by a ribbon corset. The edges are all lined with gold trim, which is a nice finishing touch too. The skirt is your typical AP shape. It is a very pretty rounded shape which flares outwards well. It will hold a decent amount of petticoat. The skirt is kept free of further detail and so, the print is displayed beautifully. The bottom hem is then finished off with the same polka dot lace, which I still think is a surprisingly ordinary looking choice for an AP print like this one .



And here we have the print close up. As you can see, the print comes in ivory, pink, sax blue and black. I think my favourite is the sax blue, as the pink bows in the print stand out nicely against it and I am not too keen on the black. The pink colour way blends a bit too much for my liking. The ivory is a nice, slightly maturer looking colour if the print is too sweet looking for some. As for the print itself, I am very unsure about it. When I initially saw it I hated it but when I saw it on the actual dresses, I didn't think it looked as bad. Although I think it is a nice idea, I don't like all the parts of the print. I especially dislike the gummy animal chandelier as I think that pushes the cuteness a bit too far for my personal tastes. The other chandeliers are a bit better. To be fair, I do think that all the parts of the print have been drawn very well. I just wish the sweetness of the print was a bit more toned down. I think that if you removed the gummy animals and the cupcakes, it could have been a nice sweet print. Also, I like the lace ovals in the print, but I don't think they work when teamed with the cutesy chandeliers.


Here is a close up of the necklace from this series. I thought the detail on it was quite impressive. For such a small necklace, there is a lot of detail there. I love the candles and the gems hanging underneath. The other jewellery is also very pretty, but I found the necklace to be the most interesting.

So overall, I am not that impressed by this series. The OP is too OTT for me and I feel the JSK is fine, but possibly lacking something. Interestingly, I feel the print suffers from the same problem with the sugary chandeliers conflicting with the more subtle parts of the print like the lace ovals. I wouldn't say this was a bad series, but I am very uncertain about it. I probably wouldn't buy this series, but if I did I would get the skirt in sax blue. However, I would get the necklace.



2 comments:

  1. I can't decide which dress is cuter and fashionable *-* the pink of the blue.I love the prints on it too.♥
    ~Love Patty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't decide between the dresses either. I love the blue colour the most!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...