Thursday 18 April 2013

Wiz Me Over the Rainbow by BABY

Today I am looking at Wiz Me Over the Rainbow by Baby the Stars Shine Bright. This series includes 2 dresses, a skirt, 3 hair accessories, socks, a bag and a special outfit for Usakumya.



This is JSK I. The bodice looks well fitted and is a cute shape. The straps are a good width and suit the dress. They are also lined with pretty lace on the outer edges which stops them looking plain and also goes well with the use of lace elsewhere on the dress. The waist bow is a bit on the big side and the lace on the bows edges emphasise the large size. I am also not keen on the shape, but at least it doesn't look too droopy.


The solid coloured waist ribbon helps to define the waist and looks very pretty. Also, the ribbon used is not shiny, which is a bonus. The matching small bows at the base of both straps are cute too and match the waist perfectly. However, I am not a fan of the removable apron-like panel. Whilst it is a cute idea, I think when teamed with a gingham print like this, it reminds me too much of a picnic cloth. But the buttons used to attach it are quite sweet. The panel is removable and BABY have at least made an effort to make the dress look detailed enough without the panel there. There is a lot of lace hiding beneath that panel. My first thought was that it looked very old-school and perhaps may look a bit 'dated' to some people, but I think it looks cute.

The back has a panel of shirring which is covered neatly with a ribbon corset. The same non-shiny ribbon is used here too. The skirt has a wonderful bell shape to it. It is full looking and flares outwards beautifully. The skirt is kept free of cluttering details and so, the print is displayed very well. The bottom hem is finished very neatly with a line of the same ribbon. The line of ribbon also features some small bows which look cute, but are not too distracting. The bottom hem is then finished further with lace. The lace is too wide for my liking and the lace used is also a bit boring looking. 


This is JSK II. The bodice looks like it will fit nicely and the bodice has a cute simple shape to it. I am not a huge fan of the straps on this dress as I don't like the way they are gathered. Also, at their widest part I think the straps are a bit too wide. The edges are lined neatly with thin lace though, which is a nice finishing touch. The waist bow is again a bit too big for my liking, although I prefer the waist bow on this dress over the one on the other dress in this series. Despite being big, it does have a nicer shape and it sits nicely on the dress, without looking too droopy. The lace on the bow edges emphasises the size, although matches the lace used elsewhere.


The bodice has a line of braid surrounded by lace. I am a bit unsure about this detail because it may sit funny on the chest area. Also, I don't think it looks right paired with the neckline. The bodice also has 3 ribbon bows which are very shiny. It is a shame they didn't use the duller ribbon from the other dress. The bows are a bit squished together and could do with either being spaced a bit further apart or using less bows. In fact, I don't think the dress design would suffer too much if those bows were not there at all.

The back is fully shirred, so the shirring is not covered neatly. The shirring does blend in a little bit with the gingham pattern though. The skirt has a cute flared shape to it. The length looks a bit shorter in comparison to the other dress though. This dress will hold a decent amount of petticoat though. The print is displayed very well and the skirt is kept free of cluttering details. The bottom hem is finished off with a very cute looking ruffle. One thing I do dislike about this ruffle though is the way that the material used switches back to the lighter colour at the top of the dress. As you will see in the print close-up, the colour of the gingham changes at the bottom part of the print. I think it would have been better if the ruffle was the same colour as the bottom part of the print.



And here is the print close-up. This print comes in red, pink and sax. I have a bit of a love/hate relationship with gingham and I am not too sure I like the use of it in this series. Whilst it is interesting that the colour of the gingham part changes in the print near the bottom, as I mentioned above it looks strange with JSK II's design with the bottom ruffle. However, I do think it works on JSK I quite well.  As for the actual print, I quite like the use of fluffy clouds for the border around the picture as it is very soft looking and matches the lace quite well. The pictures with scenes from the Wizard of Oz are drawn well. I love the use of the yellow brick road! I suppose this is a great alternative to those fed up with Alice in Wonderland. I personally am not that fussed by this series though.

So overall, I wouldn't say I was widely impressed by this series. I think it is a lovely print, but I probably wouldn't go for it myself. If I did, I would probably go for JSK I in blue. Gingham is something that seems to divide opinion in the community as well and I know a few people who wont be happy to see gingham used here! Still, it is nice to see BABY doing a series based on a story we don't see as often as Alice.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...