Monday 19 August 2013

Magical Painting by Crown Label (Metamorphose)

Today I am looking at Magical Painting by Metamorphose. This series includes 3 dresses, 2 skirts (different lengths), a cutsew, 2 hair accessories and socks.


This is the A-Line Pinafore JSK. I am not keen on the bodice shape because I think it is a bit too square and 'boxy' looking. I appreciate that the dress is meant to be A-Line but after seeing the worn pictures on the model I do wish the waist was a bit more nipped in. The waist makes the model's waist look bigger than it actually is and it is not the most flattering of dresses. However, with the waist ties done up tight I suppose the shape may appear a bit better. The straps are a suitable width. They are a bit plain looking but I do like the use of tiny bows at the base, as they are a nice finishing touch. The bow on the neckline is a bit too big for my liking. It does sit nicely on the dress though. The bow is decorated neatly with lace and ribbon, which adds a bit of interest to it, but the overall shape is a bit simple. It is detachable if you dislike it. The dress has 2 lines of lace which run down the bodice and continue down the skirt which I like as they flow quite nicely. The back has a panel of shirring but it is not concealed in any way. It looks very basic and untidy. I am not too keen on the skirt shape. It starts off fine but I dislike the gathered tier. There is a bit too much gathering for my liking and it obscures the print a bit. The tier join is topped with a line of interesting looking lace with ribbon threaded through it. It matches well with the neckline bow. However, I think the lace here is a bit on the wide side and I would have preferred something less bulky looking. The bottom hem is then finished off with some good quality but boring looking lace.



This is the Scalloped Pinafore JSK. The bodice looks well fitted and an interesting shape. The waist bow is a good size for the dress and it sits nicely on the dress. It doesn't droop much. The overall shape of the bow is again a bit simple but doesn't look too bad and suits the dress.



I am unsure I like the use of solid colour up the bodice though. I appreciate that the circular shape matches up with the scalloped bottom but I am not personally a fan. I do however, think the teddy bear shaped buttons are very cute! The band of solid colour at the top matches up well with the use of solid colour elsewhere. There is another bow on the neckline. I think this one is a bit on the big side. A smaller bow tucked neatly to the side would maybe look better. This bow is very similar to the waist bow in shape and style. Both bows are detachable if you dislike them. I would probably detach the neckline bow but leave the waist bow on. The straps are a good width and I like the ruffled appearance as it makes them a bit more interesting. The back has a panel of shirring which is concealed neatly by a ribbon corset. The stock photos show the skirt shape is very rounded and looks great with a decent petticoat. I love how rounded it looks. The skirt is kept free of too much clutter and so the print is displayed beautifully. The scalloped edge has been done quite neatly. The individual scallops are a bit wide but overall I think it has been done well. The bottom is then finished off with a wide ruffle underneath. I think the ruffle is really cute and softens the scalloped bottom brilliantly. It also matches well with the ruffled straps.





This is the Shirring Pinafore JSK. As expected for something fully shirred, the bodice looks a bit lumpy looking. I appreciate some need more size flexibility but it also doesn't look very attractive. This dress has 2 sets of thin straps. I would have preferred just one set of thin straps as I don't really see the point of 2 sets of straps like this. They are also a bit plain looking, and a very thin ruffle could maybe soften the edges, whilst also matching the bottom hem ruffle. The waist bow is a bit too big and too simple in design. It also looks like it may droop a little bit and doesn't sit as well on the dress. It is thankfully detachable though.




I am also not too fond of the ruffle going up the centre of the bodice. With all the gathering from the shirring it seems a bit strange to have a completely straight bit in the middle and then a ruffle going vertically against the horizontal shirring. In summery I think it is messy looking. The bows and buttons on top sit awkwardly on top as well. They look wonky and too fussy. I do like the idea behind the teddy themed rosette. The teddy head shape works well as a rosette and it is very cute. I do think the rosette looks slightly too plain though. Maybe the teddy could have had some facial features to liven it up a bit? As the dress is fully shirred, the back has shirring the whole way across too and again, it looks messy.

The stock photos show that with the right petticoat you can achieve a very sweet, cupcake shape with this dress. The shape is very rounded and cute looking. If anything, it is maybe slightly too rounded, but it gives a nice exaggerated shape. However, I am not keen on the line of lace topped with small bows just a little bit down the skirt. I find it a bit too distracting and makes the silhouette a little less smooth. The dress would look fine without this line here. But apart from that, the print is displayed well and not too cluttered. The bottom hem is finished with a simple ruffle, which gives the edge a cute finish.


And here we have the print close-up. This print is available in camel, black and pink. I think the pink and black look fine. The camel colour though, clashes a bit with some of the colours that feature in the border print and doesn't seem as well thought-out. As for the print, the teddy bears and rabbits are very cute. They do have that typical Meta look to them. The art items surrounding the bears fit in nicely. The chalk letter background fits in well with the print. However, I think for me personally the print is a bit too 'young' and childlike. I would probably want something a bit more maturer. 

Overall, I am not too amazed by this series. It is cute, but at the same time there have been many similarly themed Meta prints just like this one. Nothing really makes this a stand-out series to me. I wouldn't buy from it myself. But if I were to buy a dress I would go for the Scalloped Pinafore JSK in black, as I think this dress is the strongest design. I am hoping for better things from Meta soon.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...