Monday 27 January 2014

Sewing Lesson by Metamorphose

Today I am looking at Sewing Lesson by Metamorphose. This series includes 3 dresses, a skirt, a blouse, 3 hair accessories, wrist cuffs, socks, a lace collar and a necklace.


This is the Yoke A-Line dress. Due to the style of the dress, there is no defined bodice. The sleeves are suitably puffy and look a decent length. The gathered cuffs are finished with small bows and gold lace, which help to finish them off in pretty style. The cuffs look very stretchy and flexible too. The chest area has a yoke. The yoke is a good size and seems to suit the dress. The ruffle and braid around the yoke edges looks smart, but also adds a touch of cute. The yoke is mainly plain, although there is some pleating and ruffles in the centre to stop it looking too boring. The yoke is then finished off with pearl buttons. The buttons look quite pretty and are spaced out really nicely. The collar is kept simple, just finished off with gold lace. The simplicity seems to suit the dress and doesn't look too stuffy. The yoke is topped with a bow. The bow is a good size that suits the dress. Despite the simple bow shape, it still looks quite cute and it sits on the dress very well. The braid on the bow helps to liven it up a bit. The back doesn't have any shirring and the dress doesn't seem to have much size flexibility. The overall shape is quite sack-like and not the typical lolita silhouette. The shape wont suit everybody. I worry the yoke wont sit correctly on a large chested wearer and a smaller wearer may end up looking a bit swamped. The dress is kept relatively simple, so the print is displayed well. However, there doesn't seem to be very much of a print, as it looks very narrow. It just looks like a little squiggle of detail at the bottom. The bottom is then finished off with some braid and a simple ruffle, which matches up well with the rest of the dress.



This is the Open Front Pinafore dress. The bodice looks well fitted, although the overall bodice shape is a bit simple. The straps are a decent width and are lined well with thin gold lace. They look strong and supportive, although I think they could of gotten away with the straps being a bit thinner. The waist has a small solid coloured bow, which I don't think works too well teamed with the ruffles on the bodice. The dress would look fine without that bow there. The front has large ruffles, which look pretty and give the bodice some extra depth. I feel like the neckline could do with some more detail though, as it looks strangely plain in comparison to the rest of the dress. As the name of the dress suggests, the front of the dress opens up and is buttoned the whole way down. I've never really been a fan of this kind of dress design, as I feel it cuts through and leaves an obvious gap in the details. It looks so flat in comparison to all the ruffled detail surrounding it. The back has a panel of shirring which is concealed by a ribbon corset. The ribbon looks quite bunched together, so it is not very neat looking. The shirring panel is also quite small, so I don't think it will offer too much size flexibility. The stock photos show the skirt has a lot of volume to it. The skirt has a very rounded shape to it. The top of the skirt has further ruffles going down, which meets a horizontal line of ruffle. The skirt ruffles look quite pretty and because of the narrower print, it doesn't really obscure the print too much. It is also not overly distracting either. The bottom is finished off with a thin line of lace and a wide ruffle.


This is the Chiffon Drape Pinafore dress. The bodice looks well fitted, but the overall bodice shape is a bit dull. The straps are a bit thin and despite the braid detail on them, I think they look a bit dull. The straps have small bows at the bases, but I think they need to be a bit better. The waist area has a bow. Whilst the bow is an okay size, it appears to blend in to the background a bit and it doesn't appear to sit well on the dress either. The bow's shape is nice though. The bodice has 2 lines of braid with a dark coloured ribbon corset between them. Although the criss-crossed ribbon is spaced out well, something about it just feels a bit too basic. It is very simple looking and I think I expect something a bit more from a well-known brand. The middle of the bodice has a droopy bow, but it doesn't really contribute much to the design. The back has a panel of shirring, which is concealed neatly by a ribbon corset. I really like the shape of the skirt. It is full, flares out well and has a nice, rounded shape to it. However, I cannot understand what Meta was thinking when they came up with this skirt design. Why would you design a skirt like this for something with a border print? Yes, you can pull the gathering down, which doesn't look so bad. But with the gathering done up, the border print is completely obscured and bunched together. I think it looks dreadful! You could do this sort of design quite well with a solid coloured piece but not with a print! 


And here we have part of the print close up. This series is available in ivory, pea green and brown. I do think all 3 colours are fine with the print, but none of them really stand out as one that really appeals to me. As for the print itself, I think it is cute enough, but the sizing is a bit 'off' on the dresses. I like the idea behind the print though. Who knew sewing implements could be so cute? The cotton reels and lace are cute, although I think the scissors could have been drawn a little better. The ribbon in the print helps to tie all the floating objects together a bit and pulls things together. It is a pretty good way of including the brand name in the print as well. As for the smaller floating parts which make up the non-border part of the print, I think they are a bit sparse and there could have been a little bit more done with it.


Whilst I may not be a fan of the dresses and the print from this series, I think the beret is absolutely adorable! It is a cute idea to turn a measuring tape in to part of the ribbon design. It's a shame it doesn't match anything in my current wardrobe, otherwise I would snap it up right away. The little scissor charm is cute too.

I have to be honest, I am really not impressed by this series. I think it is a cute idea, but the dress designs are just awful in my opinion. I think you can all guess I wont be buying this series and if I was, it would be difficult to pick out my favourite dress or colour. Possibly the pea green colour, as it looks the most interesting. I would choose the skirt over any of the dresses (and I am not particularly fond of the skirt design either). Oh Meta, I really wish you would release a series I can fall in love with... Fancy Egg feels like such a long time ago.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...