Monday 24 February 2014

Candy Shower by Metamorphose

Today I am looking at Candy Shower by Metamorphose. This series includes 3 dresses, socks and 3 hair accessories. It is quite a small series, but maybe Meta are planning to release a few more bits later on.




This is the A-Line OP. Due to the style of dress, there isn't really a defined bodice. The shoulder area seems a bit "hunched". This is probably because of the collar shape. I just feel it could have been done a bit better. The collar is a cute idea, but I think it needs to be narrower. I am also not a fan of the use of rick-rack on the collar. I rarely like the use of rick-rack and I think it just looks quite cheap on this dress. The bow in the middle of the collar is cute and the bow is a pretty shape, although the ribbon used is very shiny. I also think it is confusing having a panel placed underneath the collar. It looks like one of those modesty panels you sometimes see to cover your bra. I don't think I would have bothered with the panel. I do like the buttons on the panel though, as they look like gum balls. It is a shame they couldn't have been used in a different way on the dress. The dress sleeves look a bit slouchy. I think it would look better if they were a bit shorter and more puffy, just so they have more shape to them. The back is quite plain with no shirring. The overall dress shape is quite cute, although a smaller wearer might look a bit swamped by all that fabric. It is definitely the sort of dress that will probably only suit certain people. It is definitely not your typical lolita shape! There is a line of that shiny ribbon just above where the tiers start. This ribbon is topped with bows, which are a suitable size, although again I find the ribbon too shiny. But at least the ribbon hides the tier join. The tiers are spaced out nicely and are layered well. Because of the all-over print, the print is not really obscured by all of the details. The bottom hem is kept plain, although I think this particular dress looks better without anything there.




This is the Scalloped Pinafore JSK. The bodice looks well fitted and the shape is interesting. The straps are a good width and look very supportive. However, the straps and neckline are topped with a scalloped collar. I am not a fan of the collar because the scallops look uneven. I appreciate the collar is scalloped to match the scallops elsewhere, but I think it looks odd. The collar is also lined with shiny ribbon and small bow. Overall, I find the collar a bit cheap looking. Thankfully, it is detachable and that is probably what I would do. When you detach the collar you are left with a simple neckline with a bit of lace in the middle. There is also a waist bow on this dress. It is fairly big, although it blends in to the dress quite a lot, so you don't really notice it. The back has a panel of shirring which is concealed neatly by a ribbon corset. The stock photos show the skirt is very full and flares out brilliantly. It has a lovely cupcake shape to it. The print is displayed very well. The main fabric is finished with a scalloped edge. Thankfully, the scallops here are a bit neater than the ones on the collar. I like how the scalloped edge is evened out with the layers of tulle underneath. Although, I don't like the use of red tulle with the blue version of this dress as it is quite a clashing combination. I also think the dress would have been fine with just the top tier of tulle. The bottom layer of tulle looks a bit less solid, drapes strangely and just doesn't seem to fit with the rest of the dress.



This is the Flap Pocket Pinafore JSK. Well, it is supposed to be a dress, but to me it looks more like a high-waist skirt. The bodice is not an appealing shape in my opinion. The top hemline looks very wonky and I would have liked a more defined waist. The straps are a good width, but for some reason it just reminds me of a clown costume. I am not a fan of the buckles used on the straps. I don't think the buckles are placed very well and the straps could maybe have been fine without them at all. There is thin lace running along the top hemline and then down the front of the dress. The lace is not the best looking lace. I also think the white lace running down the front in this way gives the illusion that the dress is actually inside out! It just looks very out of place and the lace was a poor choice. The back has a panel of shirring running the whole way across. It has been left open and exposed, but the back is almost non-existent anyway, so you barely notice the shirring. The stock photos show the skirt is very full and flares out a decent amount. I don't think the skirt's overall shape is that appealing though. The bottom of the skirt has 2 tiers. The tiers are spaced out nicely and are layered well. I like how gathered the tiers are too. The bottom hem is then kept plain.


And finally, we have the print close-up. This print is available in blue, white and red. I really like the blue colour, but I was really put off by the colour combinations used on the dress designs. So I am a bit disappointed about that. The red is a bit better. The only colour I would probably wear would be the white, but it looks a bit dull compared to the other 2 bold colours. I do appreciate that the colours will be seen as too garish for some though. As for the actual print, I think it is very cute. I like the retro look of the sweets. The gum ball machines are drawn well. It is also nice how Meta have subtly included their bear and rabbit mascots in the print.

I have to be honest, I think the dress designs really let the print down. I could imagine the print looking really good with a retro looking design and maybe a mini skirt design like the ones Angelic Pretty puts out. But the dress designs Meta have chosen look cheap and I am not fond of the details. Would I buy this series? No, I wouldn't. If I absolutely had to though, I would pick the scalloped JSK in white, and then detach the collar. I am really disappointed. All the recent talk about this series looking like something a clown would wear doesn't exactly help either.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...