Monday 28 April 2014

Sweetie Violet by Angelic Pretty

Today I am taking a look at Sweetie Violet by Angelic Pretty. This series includes 2 dresses, a skirt, socks and a hair accessory.


This is the OP. The bodice is a bit slouchy looking, but you can still clearly see where the waist line is. I just wish it was just a little bit more well fitted, but without being overly well fitting, because I think it looks better being just slightly baggy. The sleeves are gorgeous though. I like the amount of material used to give just that right amount of puff and the way the cuffs are gathered really gives a nice shape. The lace used for the cuffs is pretty and fits well with the dress. There is a big ribbon bow on the waist line. Although the design of the bow is simple, it still manages to make an impact and a fussier bow would not suit the dress. The ribbon used is only slightly shiny too. The bodice is kept simple with 4 lines of lace, which do blend in to the background quite a bit. However, the blending is not necessarily a bad thing because this dress works better with simpler details and the lace stops the bodice from looking too plain, but without grabbing too much attention. The bodice is then finished off with 3 very pretty flower shaped buttons. The buttons are spaced out well and the design matches up brilliantly with the print. The dress also has a collar. The collar is a really good size and shape, and I think it looks very cute. The design is again kept simple; just being lined with lace and then a thin ribbon bow in the centre. The back is quite plain, with no shirring, which means there isn't much size flexibility. The stock photos show the skirt is very full with plenty of volume. It has a very pretty shape to it, which I think goes well teamed with the bodice. The skirt design is kept simple, so the print is displayed beautifully. The bottom hem is then finished off with 2 lines of layered lace. The lace used is very pretty and is layered well. I think the bottom hem design matches up well with the sleeve cuffs too.


Here we have the JSK. The bodice looks a bit baggy in some of the photos but again, I don't feel this dress would look right if the material was skin tight. The bodice shape is simple, but really suits the overall style of the dress. It looks light and breezy, which is just prefect for a pastel spring time look. The ribbon straps are very thin and look a bit flimsy, but I don't feel bulky straps would suit this style of dress anyway. The straps are lined with lace, which makes them a bit more interesting and gives them a softer appearance. The waist area has a ribbon belt, which helps to give the waist a bit more definition. The ribbon used is again slightly shiny and the belt design is kept simple, but it really seems to work well. I personally feel the bow tails could have been a little bit shorter but overall, I think it looks great. The bodice features a mixture of pleats and thin lines of lace. It helps to give the bodice extra texture, depth and makes it slightly more interesting. Again, the details are kept simple and seem to blend in to the background quite a bit, but it does stop the area looking too flat and dull. I really like the 2 lines of lace on the neckline. The lace used has a pretty design. I feel the lace is also layered quite well. The end result is quite fluffy and cute looking. This lace is then topped off with a small ribbon bow, which sits well on the lace and is a nice way to finish things off. The back is fully shirred. Whilst I don't think full shirring looks very appealing, in this case the back is quite short and the belt helps to disguise some of it, so I'm not as against it on this particular dress. The stock photos show the skirt has the potential to flare out well, with plenty of volume. I like the rounded shape a lot. The skirt is again kept simple, so the print is displayed brilliantly. The bottom hem is then finished off with a line of pretty custom lace.


And finally, here is the print close-up. As we can see the print comes in pink, mint (it is a very blue looking mint on my monitor), lavender and con. I think all 4 colours are fantastic choices for this print. I was a little unsure about the con colour at first, but I can see its appeal now. For me, this series is all about the pink or lavender colours though! As for the print itself, I absolutely love it. I really love it when brands release prints that feature flowers which aren't roses, and AP have done it with their usual flare. The violets are drawn beautifully and the colours used are wonderful. Despite including cutesy things such as cupcakes, the eyes are still drawn to the flowers. The flowers are bold and make quite an impact. I also like how the background features a polka dot design, but it is very subtle and not too distracting.

So overall, I am very impressed with this series. I think both dress designs are very pretty and the print is fantastic. I saved this series to my wishlist the very second I saw the Kera scans! I would really like to get the OP in pink, but I wouldn't be disappointed by the JSK as a back-up choice. I can fully understand why this series sold out as quickly as it did. I am just praying the second hand price isn't too high!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...