Monday 21 March 2016

Priere D'espoir by Alice and the Pirates

Today I am looking at Priere D'espoir by Alice and the Pirates. This series includes 3 dresses, a skirt, 3 hair accessories, 2 blouses and a rosette.




First up we have JSK I. I am really not sure what to make of the bodice shape in the stock photos. To me, the bodice looks very tube-like and unflattering. Also, I feel the neckline of the dress sits too low. If you took out the straps, it would almost look like a very high-waist skirt. The straps themselves look very wide and supportive, although they look far too plain and I feel they look too casual for a lolita dress. The bodice features a ribbon corset, which has been well spaced out and the ribbon doesn't look too shiny. The lace used to hold the ribbon in place has a pretty and quirky design to it. which makes it look more interesting. I am actually quite liking the way the lace then carries on down the skirt, and with an all-over print, it doesn't really affect the print that much. The wide lace along the neckline has a pretty design to it, but I feel it could have been better shaped. The back offers no shirring, so size flexibility is very limited. I am also not fond of the way the bustle forms at the back, as the bottom hem of the main dress fabric is a strange shape and looks too angular. It looks a bit awkward. The bustle itself has soft layers though, which are well spaced out. The stock photos show that the skirt has a generous amount of volume and it flares outwards well. I like the full rounded shape. Aside from the lines of lace and bustle at the back, the print is displayed decently. I feel the bottom hem of the main dress fabric could have done with a thin line of lace though, just to add that nice finishing touch.




Next up is JSK II. The bodice looks well fitted and the shape is lovely. The straps are incredibly wide though. I would be tempted to almost treat this dress like an OP. The lace along the straps and the neckline is very pretty. Perhaps it is a bit too wide on the straps, but I love how it looks on the neckline. It really makes the slight heart shape of the neckline stand out. This dress has a ribbon belt. Although the ribbon is a bit too shiny for my tastes, I do appreciate the nice rose pattern on the ribbon. It makes it a bit more interesting than just having bog-standard plain ribbon. The bodice features a double pearl chain dangling from the neckline. The chains look a good length and I like the charm dangling from the top chain. I do wish the ends of the chain was a bit more hidden though. The back has a panel of shirring, which has been topped neatly with a ribbon corset. The stock photos show that the skirt has plenty of volume and it flares outwards beautifully. There is the potential to create a fantastic shape and I really like the shape created in the stock photos. The skirt is kept simple in design, so the print is displayed perfectly. The bottom hem is then finished off with a slightly gathered ruffle, which has been topped with lace on either side. I like that the ruffle has been done gently, so it doesn't stick out at an odd angle and the different laces used have a nice design.




Here we have JSK III. That's right- there is no OP this time. I personally feel the bodice on this dress again looks very tube-like and it lacks any real shape. It looks too plain. The straps are an okay width and I like that they are topped with ribbon, so they are not completely plain. I do feel they could have done with being lined with some thin lace though. There is a waist bow, which is far too large. It is also quite basic in shape and design. I am surprised that a bow of that size is holding its shape that well though. This waist bow is detachable. Although I despise the waist bow, I would probably leave it attached for the simple reason that the dress looks far too boring without it. Aside from the neckline, there is not really any details on the bodice and the skirt is also simple in design. So this dress is fantastic for showing off the print, but apart from that it is too simple. The neckline features a line of lace, and there are also 2 bows at the bases of the straps. I like the lace, but I am not a fan of the way it has been used. It seems to stick up at an odd angle. The strap bows are cute and at least they offer some much needed interest to this dress. The back of the dress is fully shirred, so there is plenty of stretch but it isn't too attractive to look at, as nothing is covering the shirring. At this point, it really feels as though no effort has been put in to this dress design at all. The stock photos show that the skirt has a good amount of volume and it flares outwards well, so that is something positive at least. The shape of the skirt looks decent. The bottom hem is then finished off with some gorgeous rose themed lace. It is such a shame to see such pretty lace wasted on a dull dress.




Finally, this is what the print looks like. This series comes in ivory, sax blue, green and black. I quite like all of the colour options on offer. None of them stick out as looking odd with the print or anything. As for the print itself, it reminds me of a lot of older AatP prints. The characters in the print are drawn nicely enough. I can't say that I find the print that exciting myself, but I have never really been a fan of Les Miserables, which this print seems to be taking inspiration from. The French flag coloured rosettes are pretty though and offer an interesting small pop of colour to the print.

So overall, I can't say I am overly impressed with this series. I can see it appealing to a certain crowd though. It is kind of interesting that this series gives off a 2009 AatP feel to it as well. It makes me wonder what direction AatP will go in next. But I do feel the dress designs are really lacking. It doesn't feel that a lot of thought has been put in to the dress designs, especially JSK III, which I think looks abysmal. So I think I can say with confidence that I wont be getting this series. My top choice would be JSK II in sax blue. I personally find that dress the most visually appealing.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...