Monday 7 August 2017

Peaceful Sleeping Toys by Angelic Pretty

Today I am looking at Peaceful Sleeping Toys by Angelic Pretty. This series includes 2 dresses, 3 hair accessories, socks, a bag, a sleeping Lyrical Bunny plush and tote bag for the plush.





First is the OP. The bodice looks a bit loose and baggy, but that could just be the fabric AP have chosen for the dress. The sleeves look a decent length though. I like how they are slightly puffy in shape and the contrast with the more fitted elasticated cuffs. The cuffs are kept nicely simple too, with a thin ribbon bow and some very cute star themed lace. The bodice features a massive yoke which takes up most of the space. Although I like the neat ruffle along the edge of the yoke, I feel it is far too big. I think the large size of the yoke makes it look exaggerated and almost childish. The yoke is topped with a ribbon bow which is a simple, yet well formed shape and a decent size. I like that the ribbon used has a hint of metallic in it and the star charms dangling from the ends of the bow tails. Thankfully, the yoke part is detachable! The bow is as well, but I would consider leaving it on. I think removing the yoke is a massive improvement. When it is removed, there is a simple line of star shaped buttons with a tidy ruffle of lace on either side. I think the collar looks a lot better with the yoke removed as well. It is a really cute shape and neatly lined with star lace. When I first saw the bodice without the yoke it really raised my hopes for this dress. The back offers no shirring, so size flexibility is sadly limited. I think the yoke looks big and bulky from the back view as well, which is another reason why I would remove it. The stock photos show that the skirt has a lot of volume and it can flare outwards plenty. I think there is the potential to create a really lovely shape. The skirt is kept simple in design, so the print is displayed beautifully. The bottom hem is then finished off with a smart ruffle with a line of lace layered over the top. This lace is AP logo themed and I was a little surprised that they didn't use the star lace here as well. At least the lace is still of a good quality though.




Next we have the JSK. The bodice looks a little bit wrinkled and baggy in some of the close ups but again, that could be because of the fabric AP have chosen. The overall bodice shape is quite cute. I like the soft neckline shape. My only complaint is that I wish the star lace on the neckline was a bit more tapered where it reaches the arm pits. The straps are a bit on the thin side and I think they look a bit flimsy. I suppose the thinner straps suit the style of the bodice but I would have preferred them to be just a little bit thicker. They are very neatly lined with the star lace on the outsides though. I like how this lace has been gathered slightly, giving it a more interesting shape and look. The bodice is mostly kept plain because of the massive bow on the neckline. This bow is fairly well shaped. I am surprised it isn't drooping more considering the size, although I suspect it has some discrete stitches to hold it in place. The fabric chosen for the bow is pretty and looks of a good quality. I do wonder though why AP have chosen a stripy fabric for this bow. It is not that I don't like it, I am just curious! If I am being honest, I think just placing a massive bow on the bodice is a bit lazy and knowing AP, they could have done a whole lot more with the design. I am not saying I don't like the bow, just that I don't feel this is AP at their full potential. The back is fully shirred which means lots of size flexibility, but also that the shirring is left exposed. The stock photos show that the skirt has a great deal of volume and it flares outwards enough. It should hold a fair bit of petticoat. The skirt is again kept simple, so the print is displayed brilliantly. The bottom hem is then finished off with a slightly gathered ruffle and lined neatly with lace.  




Finally, here we have a bit of the print. This series comes in white, pink, grey and dark blue. It is interesting to see the rarely seen grey make a comeback again. It offers a slightly more mature looking option and I am not surprised it seems to be the most popular colour. The other 3 colours do look adorable though! As for the print, I do think it is well drawn. We get to see some of our favourite AP characters throughout the all-over style print. I especially think it is cute how Lyrical Bunny is clinging on to the moon shaped cushion! (off topic, but I would love a moon shaped cushion like the one in the print) The cushion designs are nicely detailed with uses of gingham and fun shapes. The empty space between the mascots is filled in well with simple moons and stars. However, the overall look of the print does remind me of this wallpaper I used to have in my bedroom when I was a kid. It is super cute, but I am not sure I would want to wear it on a dress myself!

So overall I think this series has a bit of potential. I was initially a bit underwhelmed by the dress designs, but after seeing the OP without the yoke part I warmed to it a bit more. The print is adorable, but it is a bit too cutesy for my personal tastes. So this is not a series that I would buy. If you are a fan of any of the AP mascots, then I reckon this would be a good addition to your collection though. My top choice would be the OP in dark blue. I would pick the grey, but it is such an unusual colour that I am not sure I would feel confident co-ordinating it. I have fallen in love with the heart shaped cushion bag from this series though (it sold out in pink long before I had a chance to consider buying it) and as a further suggestion, I think making cushions like the ones in the print could be a fun novelty item for AP to put out!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...